Click her to get back


The 1st. Lothian and Border Horse
(Flail Tanks with the British 79th. Armoured Division)

Cap badge as worn on the black cavalry beret by the
1st. Lothians' Pipe Band in 1944-'45.

This "Hound's-tooth" Tartan was used for the Pipe Bag covers,

as you can also see in this close-up, also the metal Lothians' collar badges
and the 79th. Div. triangular patch and its shouldertitle, on the sleeve.

The 1st. Lothians' Pipe Band playing at "Go-Ahead" Football Field in Deventer, The Netherlands in April 1945.

The Lothians and Border Horse Yeomanry 1938 to 1956
By May 1939, the 19th A.C.C. had expanded to a regiment of two lines known as the 1st and 2nd Lothians. Armoured cars gave way to light tanks - the Mark VIb was used in World Wat Two. Service-dress was superseded by battle-dress and a further modification was made to the title. The name was seldom used by the regiment itself. Major H.J. Younger chose the 1st Lothians and Border Yeomanry for the First Line. The Second Lothians were referred to as the L&B Horse.

1940: The Campaign in France
On 3 September 1939, the 1st Lothians under Lieut. Col. Younger took up the role of Divisional Cavalry for the 48th (South Midlands) Division, the first all T.A. division and travelled southwards to Lambourn in Berkshire. Later from Tidworth (Bhurtpore Barracks) they went on to embark from Southampton on 11th January 1940 and on reaching Le Havre, became the first cavalry regiment of the first T.A. division to land in France. Surrounded at St Valery-en-Caux, only 3 officers and 17 other ranks managed to escape to England.

The 1st Lothians Reformed: 1940 - 1946
The unit was reformed at Bovington, Dorset, around the nucleus of the survivors of St. Valery during the autumn of 1940. The reconstructed regiment joined the 30th Armoured Brigade as fourth regiment, along with the 22nd Dragoons and the Westminster Dragoons, an association that lasted until the end of the war. In September 1943, 30th Armoured Brigade was transferred to the 79th Armoured Division, known as 'The Funnies'. The 1st Lothians (second line) took over the Sherman Crab in 1944. The various units of the 79th were attached to other formations as circumstances dictated. Thus the 1st Lothians found themselves fighting as detached squadrons in support of various brigades and divisions of the British, Canadian and American Armies. When St. Valery was taken in September 1944, the massed pipes and drums of the 51st Highland Division gave a display of 'beating retreat' to which the 1st Lothians pipe-band were invited as spectators.

The reformed 1st Lothians chose the much greener shade of blanco for webbing equipment and collar badges were also issued to all ranks. Sleeve badges made a reappearance, worn on the chevrons (rather than above as in earlier times) by corporals and sergeants as an 'optional' extra, Those WOs who accepted the privilege, wore the gold-wire garb beneath their rank insignia. French-grey cloth shoulder titles, bearing 'LOTHIANS & BORDER YEOMANRY' in yellow lettering further distinguished the unit for a short period after it was reformed. On joining the 79th Armoured Division, these were displaced, as Divisional Orders stipulated that Royal Armoured Corps cloth titles would be worn by all R.A.C. regiments in the division. In late 1944, this order was rescinded and the regimental cloth titles restored.


The following are the battle honours of the reformed 1st Lothians as part of the 79th Armoured Division:
Battle of Normandy
Battle of the Scheldt
Geilenkirchen salient
Rhine crossing
Elbe crossing.

This is a "Flail Tank" as was used by the 1st. Lothian and Border Horse, while part of the 79th Armoured Division


On 11 April,1945: Liberation Festival on the "Go-Ahead" Football field in Deventer

After amalgamation into the 1st/2nd Lothians and Border Horse (1947 to 1956)
 this special badge was made for the Pipe Band

This commemorative Deventer Liberation booklet contains the photographs of the 1st. Lothians' Pipe Band